Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Day 1 - Gertrudes and General Hospital

Today's blog is a compilation of different experiences of a few of our kids......

From Grace, age 11:
Today, we went to Gertrude's. I met two little kids, a boy and a girl. I do not know the names of the two children. The first kid I held was the girl. She was one of the most adorable girls I have ever met. The table she sat at had tiny periwinkle crocs under it. the little girl absolutely loved to take the crocs and put them on the table. One of the ladies that worked at Gertrude's did not want the crocs on the table. The lady would always come over and put the crocs on the ground but then, the little girl would put the crocs back on the table. I just wanted to take the little girl and cuddle up with her she was so cute. Next I held the little boy. I held the boy at the very end. When I saw this little boy I thought I was going to cry. The little boy was just standing there. I picked him up and loved him as much as I could. The little boy was tired. After a while the little boy laid his head down on my shoulder. I was so happy that he felt comfortable doing that. When it was time to leave I cried. I did not want to leave I wanted to stay and love all the kids. I was so touched by all of those kids who all they wanted was love. I had a great time at Gertrude's and I can't wait to go back.

From Siena, age 11:
Today, we met a lot of children at General Hospital.  I met a blind girl that had been abandoned at the hospital.  The workers there said that she didn't have a name.  I gave her a name....Abbie.  She was cute.  When we first met her, she was crying hard but didn't want us to pick her up.  She would push our hands away.  My mom finally just picked her up and she stopped crying right away.  When I talked, she heard me and put her hands out for me.  I was a little nervous to hold her, but when I did, she laid her head on my chest and put her arms around my neck.  It was cute.  She was a normal little girl, but because she was blind, she had been abandoned.

From Griffen, age 12:
At General Hospital, my mom and I found a little boy.  He was laying in a little crib in an unusual way.  His legs were up in the air and to the side.  His arms were up by his head and he was very stiff.  At first we touched him, loved him, talked to him.  We found out that he was abandoned and he didn't have a name.  He had thrown up and had a mess on his ear.  But my mom picked him up anyway.  We cleaned him up and fed him some water in a little bottle and he was very thirsty.  I got to hold him and sit with him.  It made feel very emotional because he didn't get held or loved much.  His body was very still and he was hard to hold, but after a little while he started to relax in my arms.  It made me happy that he relaxed, but sad that he doesn't always get to relax in peoples arms.  Because he didn't have a name, I named him Star.  Star is the perfect name for him because he looked like a star when we first saw him in his crib because of how is arms and legs were positioned.  He was also my little star.  There's also the story of the starfish and how helping just one makes a difference for that one.  Today, Star was the one that I made a difference for.

No comments:

Post a Comment