Thursday, December 5, 2013

My very first water truck stop...

Today we brought water to people in Cite Soleil.  When we first got there, I was super excited. There were other kids everywhere. They were very cute. Right away, I started playing hand games with a little boy who was probably around 8 years old. Afterwards he brought me to his older sister and we started playing the same hand slap game. My mom was next to me the entire time, and within a couple minutes, we were surround by the brother and sister, and a bunch of their friends. Almost all of the people surrounding us were teenagers. The big sister, she seemed to be the leader of the group, and she very happy, always laughing, asking questions, and touching my hair. She taught me more hand games, and we played them faster and faster. Then my mom surprised her (I think everyone else too) by teaching her a new hand game. We played hand games and with each others hair until it was time to leave. When we left, she told me in French Creole that she liked playing with me, and gave me two huge hugs. I really hope to see her again some day.

When my mom and I were surrounded by all the teenagers, I was a little scared at times, because it was intimidating. Jonas stayed close to us most of the time and my mom asked him how to say shy in French Creole, and then she told them that I am shy. At the same time, I was more happy than scared, because they were so happy and welcoming, and glad to have us all there. They loved touching my hair and braiding it and curling it with their hands, and I really felt special to have all that attention. I felt famous. It was hard not understanding anything they said, and I wonder if they felt the same.

They made me very happy because of the happiness they showed, even though they don't have all the "stuff" that I have. God was shining through their smiles, so brightly. I can't wait to see them again some day.

- Rachael Anderson, age 10

No comments:

Post a Comment