Thursday, January 30, 2014

A little about giving and a lot about receiving...

We've all heard that is better to give than to receive and it truly is a good thing to give. I would never down play the blessing that comes when we when we give, I mean that's the reason I came on this trip, to give of myself. But, today I learned a lesson in receiving from a beautiful woman named Marie. It is said that Marie is 104 years old, but she is the youngest 104 year old I've ever met. Ok...she is the only 104 year old I've ever met, but a very beautiful woman just the same.

As a part of the elder care ministry of Grace Village, we visited many of the elderly of the community. We helped in a variety of ways: helping put a tarp up, moving a women into her new home, washing hands and feet, putting lotion on and feeding them. Immediately when we walked into Marie's home, she told us she was so happy! That she had hoped we would come today. She laughed and hugged each one of us. I immediately loved her. She plopped right down on the floor and let is wash her with such joy. We sang and worshipped with her it was an amazing time.

When I think of getting old the thing that scares me is not being able to take care of myself. I remember my Grandmother saying she didn't want to be an imposition to anybody or even my Mom struggling with having us see her as she was dying of cancer. My attitude: I want to be able to take care of myself! NO, no I can do it! Don't go to any trouble on my account. But today, Marie gave to me by joyfully and gracefully taking the help we were offering.

My words seem inadequate to describe today, but I pray that God makes it a reality in my life that I am able to receive like Marie.

Jill


No comments:

Post a Comment