Tuesday, May 13, 2014

A Moment with the Mommas

As a "first timer" here in Haiti, I was unsure of what to expect and what would and would not affect me.  I can say that today was an "ah ha" kind of day.  I was affected.

Today some of our team went to Gertrudes water therapy, where some of our team took 6 special kids to the pool and worked with them, and had a blast.  

The rest of us went to "The Home for the Sick and dying babies".  I knew in my heart that this would be a rewarding day and I was looking forward to it, but I had no idea how it would impact me.  

The parents of the sick and dying babies spend time with their children in the morning hours and then leave them in late morning.  We were there to help anyway we could during this time, but a lot of the sick babies and children were spending time with their Moms.  The bell rang to let the parents know it was time to leave. THAT was the "moment" for me.  

As a mother, I cannot think of ANYTHING more horrifying than leaving my sick or dying baby with a perfect stranger that does not even speak my language.  As the bell rang, 3 mothers came towards me, with their sick babies in their arms, ALL wanting desperately for me to care for their child.  One was pulling on my shirt, while another one held her baby out to me. The third just stood there with tears in her eyes.  Their eyes were pleading for me to take their child out of their arms and love them as they would.  I was paralyzed with the thought that I could only take one into my arms, and at that moment I wasn't thinking about the babies because I KNEW they would be loved and cared for by one of us.  My sadness and love went to the mothers that had to leave their children.  Trusting that we would care for them.  Their hearts must have been breaking.  Words cannot express the emotions that were going through my head and heart as I looked into these mothers eyes.  It was real, it was raw and I was truly in the moment praying for these mothers.  

The rest of the day was busy, amazing and memorable for sure, but this moment in time I will never forget.  EVER.

Sheila (Zell)

No comments:

Post a Comment