Monday, May 12, 2014

Challenged.

I am having trouble finding the proper words to describe what I am currently experiencing. This is like nothing I have felt before. A mixture of guilt, sympathy, excitement and various other buzz words would probably be a good place to start.
Walking out of the airport was probably the most profound moment of the day. For the first time in my life I felt as though I did not belong, I felt like an outsider, an outcast, as though if my every move was being watched; I was the minority. It is hard to put into words on just how profound this feeling was, I think this is something that one must experience for themselves, I can’t just write about it. 
When we arrived in Haiti and were waiting for the truck to pick us up at the airport I saw at first glance how desperate some of these people were. Uniformed men insisted on helping us with our luggage despite the fact we told them we did not need assistance. As kind as they were, they seemed to have expected payment. This was extremely hard for me to process, because at that instance I was not in a position to tip them, even though I wanted too. It seemed to have caused some feud between the workers which was disheartening. I am currently still wrestling with this. 
The ride over to the Guest House was extremely interesting too. People here do not use turn signals, instead they honk to alert other vehicles of their presence. On numerous occasions I felt as though we were about to crash. The roads were not very nice, in fact I would equate them to dirt bike trails or off roading trails back home. The roads, buildings, and vehicles all look to be in pretty rough condition, it amazes me that human beings can live and find love in the areas. I believe these people have found something within themselves, some form of happiness at least. It is making me realize how materialistic we are back home. 
Watching ordinary citizens of this country sell small goods along side the streets was something that I was not use too. It would be extremely awkward or different to see such a thing back in the states. 

It is very hard for me to put thought and emotion into words at this time. 

-John Dugas

No comments:

Post a Comment