Thursday, May 15, 2014

Love

Water truck day was amazing, there is no other way to put it. Watching the joy on the faces of all Hatians young to old was fulfilling. Arriving on the tap-tap, dozens of litte kids awaited us... we one by one got off, each of them wanting one thing and one thing only, love. Having 2-5 children climb on me as if I was jungle-gym was so much fun. The children are so full innocence and it is what drives their love for us. I was also able to carry several buckets of water deep into Cite Soleil and was even allowed access into several of the homes of the Haitian people. This was touching, yet heartbreaking all at the same time. These people were so delighted to just embrace love, and service, it really touched me.
Perhaps my favorite part of the day was visiting the Haitian Initiative. With music echoing throughout the town, what seemed to be hundreds of children were dancing with me in the middle of a gravel laced field. I was being goofy, and every single one of them loved it. Often times back home I feel judged which causes me to be self conscious which triggers many other negative events to happen in my life. The love and compassion these children displayed was truly moving.

After having a conga lined of dozens and dozens of children, we played "le foot" There was no organization to this whatsoever, everyone created an allegiance with someone, and played a free for all game. Children with bare-feet, holes in their shoes, ran all across a the gravel bit chasing a flat soccer ball. It truly warmed, and broke my heart. In this moment I did not care about myself though, I just continued to play soccer with the kids, and had a blast.
After I was about ready to pass out from running up and down the gravel pit, I sat along the wall that surrounded it. Immediately a swarm of Haitian children surrounded me asking me questions in French and Creole. One of them happened to have a pen, and wanted me to sign their shirt as if I was some international star like Ronaldo or Messi. To make things simple, I had each kid write down their name and age on my arms, hands and legs. They seemed to have great joy in doing this.

My heart honestly breaks everyday for these people. I do not know what to do, I am truly lost within my own mind. No other way to put it. I don't know what else to say...

-John Dugas

No comments:

Post a Comment